Random Twitter messages on surveillance cameras’ images

I just found one of my CCTV experiments from 2008 2007 when i was working on SurveillanceSaver. SurveillanceSaver was a screen saver made from random unprotected surveillance cameras on the internet.

Here are random early twitter messages placed in bubbles on random images from IP cameras. The result was very Ballardian. Especially in 2008 2007.

The experiment was programmed with Processing.

Picture 20

Picture 15

Picture 12

Picture 13

Picture 14

Picture 16

Picture 17

Picture 18

Picture 19


My Printrbot Simple finally works


I bought a Printrbot Simple back in July and was one of the first 80 people to get the final v2. It was a lot of fun to build the 3D printer from scratch. Just like LEGO back in the days.


The software setup was a bit problematic at first. The first prints were a mess due to wrong settings. But since Printrbot updated their “Getting Started Guide” it prints like a charm.


Usage and calibration is a bit more difficult compared to our Makerbot at Campus Münchberg. But in the end the principle of most extruders is the same.


Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures printed in 3D

Update: Here are new pictures of the final model on Thingiverse


STL, OpenSCAD, DXFs and Processing Sketch at Thingiverse


Update 2: Made it to London Science Museum! “3D: printing the future”



After watching Grant Gee’s documentary “Joy Division” i decided i have to print the iconic cover of their first album “Unknown Pleasures” in 3D.


Unfortunately i could not find a single vector graphic or 3D model anywhere. There are articles about the history of the graphics, Peter Saville’s artwork and PSR B1919+21. I even tried to visualize PSR B1919+21‘s waveforms. But in the end i spend an evening tracing the waves by hand while watching ESC.

The resulting SVG file was extruded and rendered in Processing with Richard Marxer’s Geomerative and my RExtrudedMesh extension. OBJ export was accomplished with OBJExport.

The Processing sketch didn’t create a manifold 3D model and i couldn’t fix it in time. Thus i rewrote the sketch in order to export DXF layers and extruded them in OpenSCAD. Now there’s a printable STL on Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:92971


The print is still not perfect. Skeinforge did a much better job than MakerBot slicer. Maybe the white PLA filament itself was the problem.

SVG Version:



SVG vector graphics

OBJ file for printing

Processing Sketch

STL, OpenSCAD, DXFs and Processing Sketch at Thingiverse


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Makerbot Replicator PLA Prints with Kreppband instead of Kapton

I was surprised there’s not much information about printing with Replicator and PLA on Makerbot’s site. And i was surprised that it’s impossible to heat the base plate in MakerWare when printing with PLA. I read about using a glass plate or “blue painters tape” instead.

Blue painters tape is just simple Kreppband from the hardware store and it works fine. The print sticks on it and doesn’t warp at all.

My impressions so far:
– No fumes and ABS smell
– Faster prints because no need for printing bed heating
– No warping so far (no need for windows)
– Material is not as smooth as ABS

Adventures in 3D Printing

Since October we have a Makerbot Replicator at Hof University. It took us a while to calibrate it and to learn how to model things in order to print. But better late than never we’ve got it running and it prints our things like a charm. Here are some photos and the latest prints.

Hello Kitty Les Paul keychain (dual extrusion with MakerWare 2.0.0)


Learning curve of dual extrusion 3D printing

Excited about the first print

Our first print: A teapot!

Otto Neurath pictograms in 3D

Scanned and printed all students of my Creative Coding class